Sunday, September 14, 2008

Toad child

I was watering some potted plants earlier this afternoon when I spotted this little toad not far from the water faucet that's attached to our hose (it drips when the water runs). At least, I assume it to be a toad of some kind. It was tiny, about the size of a quarter. How did he/she do that? I mean, we've had a drought in recent months, broken only by a few rains last month. There's no water puddles near the water faucet, where this little guy was hanging out. How did he make it from a tadpole to a toad then? Really makes me wonder. Nature is so amazing.

"It's Raining Toads, an article in the September 2008 issue of Texas Parks and Wildlife magazine, describes how a toad species in arid Monahans Sandhills State Park in West Texas has adapted to short rain cycles there. More than likely, our species here in Central Texas have adapted, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment