Monday, April 12, 2010

Well-traveled guy...or gal

The past week has been nearly a blur. On Saturday, April 3, James' precious mother, Lourdes Hearn, was admitted into a San Antonio hospital. Her prognosis did not look good. On Monday, I left as planned for Missouri on a magazine assignment. In the meantime, with James at her bedside, Mrs. Hearn left for heaven early Wednesday morning. I returned home that night. Her services were Saturday morning. James drove me back home, then I left for Austin to attend an evening dinner with Guideposts editors and writers. I spent the night with cousins there, then Sunday morning picked up writer Shawnelle Eliasen from Morrison, Illinois, and toured her around the Hill Country. Early this morning, James and I drove her to Austin airport.

There's a point to this long story.

And I spotted him/her on the dashboard of my Toyota on the way to the airport this morning. "A baby walkingstick!" I exclaimed to everyone. Cool. The little thing rode with us all the way to Austin, then all the way back home. When we got out of the car, I forgot to look for it. After an hour-long catnap, I went out to the garage and looked around inside the car. Not a sign of it. I tried again. Then once more. Success! It was on the "ceiling."

I took a few photos.........

....then released it on our African milk tree, a rather tall potted cactus on our front porch. Thus, endeth the story of a well-traveled guy....or gal.

(This little tale's for your boys, Shawnelle! We loved having you here!)


Morning Glories in Round Rock said...

So sorry to hear about your mother-in-law. It is always sad to say goodbye even when expected. How lovely to find the walking stick in your car and let him out in your garden.

Sheryl Smith-Rodgers said...

Thank you so much for your kind thoughts.

Anonymous said...

Sheryl - You and Jim were wonderful hosts to Shawnelle.

Thanks again,

Sheryl Smith-Rodgers said...

You are very welcome, Lonny! Maybe next time you can come, too!

Post a Comment