Saturday, September 4, 2010

Snow in September and June, too

A few weeks ago, James noticed a very pretty, variegated plant growing happily in a front bed, right next to our big common sunflower. "Do you know what it is?" he asked me. No, I said, "I'm going to wait and see how it flowers." That's all it took–one bloom–and I figured it out. "That's snow on the mountain," I told James.

If you're out and about driving, you'll see LOTS of snow on the mountain in bloom right now, especially in fields and pastures. I guess some bird dropped off some seeds in our yard because I've never seen it growing around here.


By the way, see if you can find the three critters in the photo above (click on it for a bigger view)...I didn't see the eight-legged one at first. She was lurking under the flowers.

In the meantime, our welcome rain of 1+ inches two days ago must have our resident green June beetles into action. They're flying and buzzing and bumping into everything right now. Maybe they just pupated?

No comments:

Post a Comment