Monday, November 22, 2010

Fungus gnats


I shot this photo Oct. 21 on our copper canyon daisy and posted it on Bugguide.net, hoping someone could tell me about the spit-looking liquid. Turns out I piqued more interest in the insects, which were IDed as dark-winged fungus gnats: "Looks like mainly male sciarids (Diptera: Sciaridae) to me. I have never heard nor read about this behavior. Probably a female got stuck and the males were attracted by her pheromones (but this is pure speculation). Did you collect the 'gnat spittle'?" –Bjoern Rulik

Bad me–I didn't do a good job at following up on his request. Sorry, Bjoern!

2 comments:

Ann said...

Hi, I found your blog address in Guideposts. I love Guideposts, (40 year reader!) and I love nature, so I will enjoy following your blog! God bless you!

Sheryl Smith-Rodgers said...

GEE, thank you so much, Ann! I'm honored!

Post a Comment