Saturday, June 18, 2011

Baby rescue!

This morning, we were out watering...we're just trying to keep alive what we've got, nothing more. No grass, no exotic natives. Anway, a mockingbird kept fussing at me. I just laughed and fussed right back. I did notice that it was carrying a worm or some insect in its beak. But–DUH–I didn't think any further than that.

Along comes James later. I was busy still laughing at the mockingbird when James pointed to our flame acanthus. A BABY perched within the branches! That's why the adult had been yelling at me! DUH! James got a ladder, and I scooped up the little bird child in my hands. I tried to set it high on an oak branch, full of ball moss. But it tumbled off. So this time, I set it in a leafy elbow bush. Success! Several times today, I've checked on the baby, and it's doing fine. Both parents are busy feeding it. Naturally, when I showed up with my camera, one got VERY perturbed with me. Again.










4 comments:

Bucks Landman said...

Texas Ranches
They are best known for the habit of some species mimicking the songs of other birds and the sounds of insects and amphibians.

Diane said...

I love the photos of the baby bird. You got some great shots!!!

Janet said...

Isn't that baby bird just the sweetest? Looks very vulnerable. Lovely photographs, Sheryl.

Sheryl Smith-Rodgers said...

Thanks, y'all! And yep, mockingbirds (mostly males) imitate all kinds of sounds, including cell phones and trash trucks. They are VERY fierce protectors of their offspring too!!

Post a Comment