Monday, December 5, 2011

Ferdinand Lindheimer

Framed specimens collected by Ferdinand Lindheimer, housed at the Sophienburg Museum
Last month, my friend Shena and I visited New Braunfels while on a magazine assignment. I'd never seen the home of naturalist Ferdinand Lindheimer–the "father of Texas botany"–so it was a treat to stop by. We didn't have an appointment to tour inside the 1852 house, but we did walk through the gardens, which are maintained by the Comal Master Gardeners. Beautiful!
Native plants abound in the gardens
This was my favorite native there–a new one to me.
The rustic garden gate adds a homey feel.
Woolly ironweed, a native I frequently see around the Hill Country.
They love to use rocks as much as we do in our Wildscape.
Bricks make a nice accent border.

4 comments:

CWPickens said...

I did not realize this place was so close. Sounds like a good stop! That is a lovely salvia - I'll have to look for it.

Sheryl Smith-Rodgers said...

Yes! I need to make an appointment next time and see the inside of the house.

Lavender Rabbit said...

Very cool place! We will have to check it out next time we're in the area. The garden looks a true Texas treasure.

Anonymous said...

Im not from Texas, but you all are doing a good job of landscaping!

Post a Comment