Thursday, July 5, 2012

Bee boxes, houses and other nesting quarters

Wow. I thought I was doing well when I made one simple bee box a few years ago. This morning, I'm researching the topic online and have found AMAZING bee nurseries. For instance, check out Bee Houses Around the World at Resonating Bodies blog and see an awesome "bee city" that stands in the Botanical Garden in Zurich, Switzerland. 

At a landscape designing blog called Studio G, see a collection of "bee wall" photos. Many of the photos, I think, come from Wildbienen ("Wild Bee"), which looks to be a German blog. I could be wrong, but the language is definitely not English. :-)

Here's a way cool photo taken by Nicolas Vereecken of a magnificent bee hotel in the Jardin des Plantes in Paris. Take a look! See more more more photos of bee houses at Hymenopteran Housing Projects Pool page. 

Want to learn more? I found:

* An information sheet on Bee Hotels by Robin Dean. 

* At the Pollinator Garden blog, Marc Collin wrote a post on "How to make a Bee Hotel: A house for mason bees and other solitary bees." 

* The U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service has a Pollinators page with info on building bee boxes and a link to more instructions, "Encouraging Native Pollinators." 


* The Xerces Society for Invertebrates Conservation has an info sheet, "Nests for Native Bees."


* Even the U.S. Department of Agriculture has instructions, "Build a Nesting Block."

Gee, I don't feel so clever now! 

No comments:

Post a Comment