Friday, January 25, 2013

Weevils



Alfalfa weevil (Hypera postica)
I don't know about you, but whenever I hear the word "weevil," I picture one of those annoying little black bugs that I sometimes find in my flour bin. So when I found these small gray bugs on our dining room floor and the front porch, I was clueless. Post them on Bugguide then!


Which I did. 

"Looks like some kind of weevil," someone posted back. Hmmmm. So I did a little searching.....

"Maybe an alfalfa weevil?" I asked

"You nailed it," came the reply. 


A nonnative bug, it seems. 

"I'd say over a third of weevil photos that pop up on Bugguide show adventive species of Old World origin," v belov wrote.

According to the University of Illinois Extension, this species is "one of the primary defoliators of alfalfa."  

Wonder what it's doing here in our Wildscape?

And our house?


No comments:

Post a Comment