Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Giant lichen orbweaver

Photo by Bill Lindemann
Now and then, friends send me photos they've taken of flora and/or fauna. Bill Lindemann graciously agreed that I could share this picture of a beautiful giant lichen orbweaver (Araneus bicentaurius) that he recently photographed in a large oak near his driveway in Fredericksburg. He calculated that her web measured 10 feet across and was at least 9 feet above the ground. "Impressive engineering spanning such a wide expanse for a small spider," he wrote me.

This species mostly comes out at night on its web and retreats during the day in a secretive place, like under a leaf or roof eave. If you spot a thick strand of silk linked from branch to branch, follow one end or the other, and you'll likely find her, tucked into her hidey-hole.

Which reminded me of some photos I took of one in our live oak last month. I never posted them here. I'd noticed our orbweaver several times and finally went out one night with my camera to get some shots. I posted them on Facebook the next day. Shortly thereafter, she vanished! 

Here she is.....was.....


2 comments:

Melody McMahon said...

Another post of learning from you Sheryl! I've never heard of an orbweaver before. Since I've been reading your blog I've made it a point to notice the small things and pay attention to what is new to me. Thanks for always teaching me something! It's not just pretty flowers!

Sheryl Smith-Rodgers said...

Thank you for your kind comments, Melody. I'm honored. And so pleased!!! :-)

Post a Comment