Sunday, August 13, 2017

Cool volunteers

Look what I spotted blooming near our Texas madrone child! A clammyweed! Perhaps Polanisia dodecandra? I have no clue where it came from, unless it was a stowaway on the madrone.


And then I found a wild poinsettia (Euphorbia cyanthophora) sharing space with my corkstem passionflower vine. I didn't have the heart to pull it. In our Wildscape, I see a lot of Mexican fireplant (Euphorbia heterophylla), which lacks the red marks. 

UPDATE: Reply from Mike Prochoroff, The Madrone Way, "Yes, it's a cleome, and the seeds probably popped over to my potting soil area. They should be putting out 2- to 3-inch pods now or the next few weeks after that rain. Then the pods dry and twist in a few days, after which the tiny seeds can be quickly collected. I've collected some and will probably grow a dozen next year. They are beautiful and seem to take the heat."

No comments:

Post a Comment