Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Gift bags in the Meadow

This year, we have a healthy crop of seedpods on our antelope-horns (Asclepias asperula) in the Meadow. We also usually have a healthy population of large milkweed bugs (Oncopeltus fasicatus), which love to feed on our milkweeds. I understand they need to make a living, too, but I'd like to have as many seeds as I can get. That said, I'm trying out an idea that Janna B. suggested a few years ago. I purchased a package of 50 4x6-inch organza gift bags. As you can see, we covered and tied the bags over a good number of seedpods. The bags allow air to circulate but hopefully keep the bugs out. We shall see!


4 comments:

Unknown said...

That is very wise. Let us know if it works.

My daughter lives close to downtown Houston. She took me for a walk the other day to show me some places that are designated Texas Wildscapes. They are in a very unusual area of her neighborhood. She is very interested, so I am going to get her to read your article in TPW Magazine. : )

April said...

Wonderful idea! I've recently planted my first Asclepias Viridis and hope to get to the stage where I can share seeds. Enjoy.

Sheryl Smith-Rodgers said...

I'll try and keep an eye on them. I'm curious to see, too, whether this works. Hope your daughter enjoys my story! :-)

Sheryl Smith-Rodgers said...

Thanks for stopping by, April! Good luck with your green milkweed!

Post a Comment