Thursday, July 1, 2021

Some milkweed math

This afternoon, I decided that I'd like to know about how many seeds are in an antelope-horns (Asclepias asperula) seedpod. I bet I could have googled that question and found out. But I wanted to find out myself. At first, I tried counting the seeds out in a dish. Nope, I'd lose track. So I went in the house and counted out seeds in groups of 10. The above photo is 297 seeds harvested from two pods. The photo below shows them in a bag.
Below are seeds from one pod, which produced 149 seeds. The next photo shows them in the bag.



Now take a look at the seeds I've harvested from the Meadow (photo below)! I have one pod left out there, and I've given away some seeds. I'd say this is the best production year EVER. 

My conclusion: One healthy antelope-horns pod produces roughly 150 seeds. 

P.S. Check out the close-ups below that I took of some milkweed seeds. 


 


 
 
Update July 3, 2021 I counted another pod for grins. Came up with 126 seeds: 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Aloha,
Brilliant snaps of seeds much appreciated.
Mahalo, y

Regina Levoy said...

Wow, I never would have guessed! Good pictures to illustrate, too!
I like your mesh bags.

Sheryl Smith-Rodgers said...

Regina, I use the bags to tie around the pods while they’re still on the plant. Keeps the milkweeds out and seeds in after the pod pops open.

Post a Comment