Friday, July 14, 2023

First bite!

The culprit

Okay, you're really gonna think I'm weird now. But yes, I got my first ever spider bite! About two weeks ago. In the tub. On my abdomen. 

(Apologies for being remiss in sharing this memorable experience.)

"YOWWW," I exclaimed after only sitting in the water for a few minutes. Reflexively, I swiped my hand over my stomach, then looked down. A SPIDER. And he'd bitten me. TWICE.

"You little rascal, what'd you do THAT for?" I said, scooping him onto the tub's porcelain edge. "Good grief. I didn't do anything to YOU."  

My first spider bite(s)! Of course, I wanted photos! I could use them in my spider presentation. Hurriedly, I finished my bath and dressed. Then I grabbed my phone and got some shots. Then – yes, dear readers, you know me well – I released my fanged attacker outside. 

Later, I learned he's in the genus Trachelas. And yes, like most spiders, he has a venomous bite. But, like I tell attendees at my spider presentations, it all depends on how much venom a spider injects at a bite site and your own reaction to the venom. My reaction was mild at first. Two red bumps about a quarter of an inch in diameter. A couple of days later, though, the sites ITCHED. But nothing worse. Check out the photo of one of my bites – you can see the two marks where the fangs pinched through my skin. Cool, eh? I thought so! Now I can say I've been bitten by a spider!

No comments:

Post a Comment