Saturday, March 21, 2009

Llano lizard and other fun

This little guy and I bonded for most of yesterday afternoon. This week, Lindsey and I took off for Llano for a two-night spring break getaway. We stayed at the Sunday House, a lovely cottage (two bedrooms) not far from downtown. Owner Joan Reed offers other properties, too, like the Cabin. At the Sunday House, I especially loved the front porch, where I spent a lot of time. Me and this scaly guy. Lindsey joined us off and on....


I soaked up sunshine on the wicker sofa. My little friend took the wicker chair by the porch rail. See him in the patch of sunlight on the chair's edge?

About dusk, the lizard disappeared. But I found him under the cushion, dozing. Obviously, he was trying to sleep, but I kept bugging him with the camera flash. Poor guy.


This morning, I went outside to check on him. Yep, he was still under the cushion. It almost looked like he was doing some morning push ups or something.

From what I can figure out from my reference guides, he (she?) is a young Texas spiny lizard. But I could be wrong. Is it a prairie lizard? I'm betting the former–a spiny lizard. If you think otherwise, let me know!

Thanks, Joan! And don't forget to check under the cushions before you sit on the wicker furniture!

2 comments:

Lorilee said...

It sounds like you had a lovely time! It does look like a Texas spiney lizard to me. But, I'm not much of a lizard expert!
Blessings,
Lorilee

John's Arts & Crafts said...

Great Photo & Blog! New blog on the Hx. of the Ladybug: http://historyoftheladybug.blogspot.com/

Post a Comment