Monday, March 30, 2009

Volunteer natives


After we bought the adjoining lot to our home, we were excited to find many native plants, including a young redbud tree. I'd forgotten about the redbud until James spotted the pretty little blooms yesterday. It's definitely a redbud because the tiny leaves are already heart shaped.


We also have two Texas yuccas (twisted-leaf yucca)–an older one and a child nearby....



And I can't wait until this little Texas mountain laurel blooms. I love the grape-candy smell of the flowers.



On the lot, we also have several small cacti. I'm not sure what they are, but they're staying!

3 comments:

Linda Calvert Jacobson said...

Don't we just LOVE living in the Texas Hill Country! Congrats on adding more land to your homestead!

Morning Glories in Round Rock said...

Are those Prickly Pears? I had those on our lot too--a couple in the Live Oaks. The Redbuds were beautiful this year.

AnneTanne said...

It can be so exciting to discover native plants in your garden. Last week, I suddenly discovered a Summer Snowflake (Leucojum aestivum) in my garden, a species native to my country, but nearly extinct in the wild. The only natural populations in Belgium are found somewhere in my county... and yes... now I have one in my garden.

Post a Comment