Wednesday, March 13, 2013

I Hate Malta


This devious Malta star-thistle (above and below) managed to sprout in CEMENT.

Yes, I hate Malta.

As in Malta star-thistle. Centaurea melitensis, to be precise. I hate it. I really do. "Wicked, it's wicked," I mumble to myself as I search for, yank and pull out the stuff. From a yard away now, I can spot a Malta seedling. I've become that much of an expert at identifying the various stages of growth.

I've also declared all-out war on the invasive species. It will NOT inhabit our Wildscape. It will not. It will not.


Toward that goal, I've employed the use of 9 percent vinegar to kill older plants. Monday afternoon, I used a coffee-grinder cleaning brush to "paint" vinegar on the foliage. Below are photos of what the victims looked like Tuesday.




Yesterday, I returned to the execution scene and POURED some vinegar on the dratted thistles (below)....I can't really say that the vinegar is killing them as fast as I'd like. So I guess I'll stick with good, old-fashioned hand removal.

 

2 comments:

Marilyn Kircus said...

Have you tried the 20%, touted for organic removal of weeds? I think Home Depot sells it. And the hotter it is, the better it works, I think.

Sheryl Smith-Rodgers said...

The 20 percent was recommended too. I'll have to look for some. Thanks!

Post a Comment