Thursday, June 18, 2015

Milkweeds and bugs

So lately, I've been drawn to white fluff out in the Meadow. Once again, I'm sure the neighbors must think I'm nuts, standing there, leaning over into tall grass for long minutes at a time. What I'm doing to separating milkweed seeds from the floss (fluff) and collecting them, either in my hand or today I stuck them in my shorts pocket. 

See that lone brown milkweed seed on the leaf? I nabbed it and others I spotted atop leaves. 

Then I spread the seeds in other spots in the Meadow. Here's hoping we have even more antelope horns and purple milkweed vines next season or year!
Oh, yeah, I spotted this VERY orange bug (above) while leaning over, picking seeds. It's a bug, that's for sure. But I'm guessing it's a milkweed bug that had just freshly molted. Below is a whole mess of milkweed bugs (Oncopeltus fasciatus) on a milkweed pod. 


No comments:

Post a Comment