Friday, November 18, 2016

Addicted to iNaturalist

Rough earthsnake (Virginia striatula)
Okay, okay. I confess. I admit it. I am an iNaturalist addict. I believe that I am beyond hope, and, as far as I know, there's no known cure. I rather enjoy my addiction any way. 
Fork-tailed bush katydid (Scudderia furcata)
It all started last month when I signed up for an online citizen science project. With hummingbird and butterfly migration well underway, it's the perfect time to record what you're seeing all around Texas. Participate in the first ever statewide Texas Pollinator BioBlitz October 7-16!   
Brazilian skipper (Calpodes ethlius)
It didn't happen right away, this addiction of mine. Oh, I posted just a few observations on day two of the BioBlitz, then I skipped day three. As the week went by, and I posted more and more photos, I got more and more familiar with iNaturalist and how it works. I used (and still use) both the website page and the mobile app.
Predatory stink bug (Podisus sp.)
By the last night of the BioBlitz, I was totally and completely and wholly and passionately hooked on iNaturalist. (As you can see below, I made it to the top five observers; I learned that I DO have a competitive streak!) After the project ended, I continued to post observations to iNaturalist. Like these four photos included in this post.

I've since expanded to creating a species list for our property here, AND I'm helping other observers to identify their observations. Sometimes we comment back and forth on an observation. I can't tell you how much I've learned since getting involved with this online community of naturalists and biologists. For instance, I've expanded my interests to moth and now true bugs. There's just so much to learn about Mother Nature! Plus, it's FUN!

So, yes, I confess. I'm addicted to iNaturalist. I wish you were, too.
 

1 comment:

Carrie Seltzer said...

Wow! You really jumped right in :-) Glad you got hooked! It is my favorite corner of the internet for sure.

Post a Comment