Friday, November 18, 2016

Cooper's hawk

So I'm outside just now, standing on our back porch, shaking out bed pillows, when I glance across the yard and ..... OH MY GOODNESS IT'S THE HAWK RUN SHERYL GET YOUR CAMERA! So I streaked back into the house and down the hall to grab a digital 35mm. I zipped off a few shots from the porch, then I tried some through my office window. These are the best I could do. 

Meet our neighborhood red-shouldered hawk. We often see him/her flying through our live oaks or soaring overhead. We can hear him/her scream, too. The last time I got photos of him/her was back in January 2014. This time, it was cool to see him/her on our fence, surveying the back yard. Everyone loves our yard! LOL!

(If you can tell if our friend is a male or female, please let me know!) 

UPDATE: Thanks to fellow iNaturalists and experts on The Hawk ID Group (Facebook), we have once and for all nailed down the species of our neighborhood hawks. They are Cooper's hawk (Accipiter cooperii). This one is a male. Thank you, everyone!






No comments:

Post a Comment