Saturday, April 1, 2017

New additions



And a PLANT SALE! Today was my favorite sale, the Cibolo Nature Center's Mostly Native Plant Sale in Boerne. I was there bright and early before the official 9 a.m. opening. But they let me in any way. Ha! James had to work, but he trusted me to go alone and unsupervised. As you can see, I was very restrained this year. I came home with six new friends (one I bought last week from a fellow Master Naturalist). Here they are:

Balsam gourd (Ibervillea lindheimeri) *
Bee balm 'Jacob Cline' ***
Heartleaf skullcap (Scuterllaria ovata) *
Showy milkweed (Asclepias speciosa) **
Talayote (Cynanchum racemosum)****
Texas greeneyes (Berlandiera betonicifolia) *
Texas milkweed (Asclepias texana)**

*Native Plant Society of Texas Boerne Chapter
**Madrone Nursery, San Marcos
***Nature's Herb Farm, San Antonio
****S. Childers, Master Naturalist








4 comments:

Melody McMahon said...

You always find the most interesting plants! I like the way you educate your readers about natives too and experiment with growing them in your landscape. I bought Heartleaf Skullcap after seeing it in Pam Penick's blog post and have been happy with the way it's spread over the years and now it's time to share it with others and transplant it around my yard. The blue flowers are pretty too!

Sheryl Smith-Rodgers said...

And hey, Melody, this heartleaf skullcap is a bit different from the fuzzy-leafed species you and I have. But same genus/species. Stay tuned!

Rock rose said...

Plant sales are always fun, especially when you can pick up some unusual plants, as you did. I should warn you too about the heart leaf skullcap although you say it is different. I would call it invasive. It spreads by underground runners which have a chain of bead-like nodules. You can never pull them up because they will always leave some behind. It finds its way into multiple spots in the garden. I would contain it in a circle if I were you.

Sheryl Smith-Rodgers said...

Yes, our original heartleaf skullcap does that too. I'll definitely keep that in mind. Thanks! 😊

Post a Comment