Monday, July 7, 2008

Surprise in July

Just when you're about to give up, nature surprises you....

Last summer, James and I planted a potted bougainvillea in the front yard. It bloomed and seemed to thrive. At first, I was skeptical about taking it out of the pot. For one thing, it's special (though likely not a "Texas" native)–a dear friend gave it to me in 2002 after I moved into my home here. For five years, I'd kept it ALIVE. That was a miracle in itself. Then, after some discussion, James and I decided to put it in the ground. I was afraid it might not make it, and I'd be so disappointed if it died. But like I said, it bloomed and grew after we planted it.

Naturally, it died back during winter. Anxiously I waited for spring spouts. Come March and April, nothing.

May came and went. Then June. Nothing. James was ready to pull it up. NO, not yet! I kept hoping.

In the meantime, I asked a friend whose mother had bougainvilleas in her yard if they'd come back up yet. No yet, but they would, Andrea assured me. Give it a bit more time. So we did.

Yesterday, I was outside, mulching plants, when I stopped by the bougainvillea. Oh my stars, a couple of green shoots were poking their heads up! I was so elated! I gave it some fertilizer and water, then waited for James to get home.

Needless to say, he was happy, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment