Sunday, June 21, 2009

Buds AND blooms!

I haven't posted in a while. For one thing, we took a road trip to Davis Mountains State Park last week andhad some fun. We hiked, saw the Marfa lights, went to a star party at the McDonald's Observatory, and toured the old Fort Davis. James took 830 photos. I christened him "Man of a Thousand Pictures" (I thought he was gonna make it!). Numerous photos captured me, bending over, examining the native flora. I recognized some species, most I didn't.

In the meantime, today James noticed that our Brazilian rock rose (Pavonia braziliensis) is blooming! If you recall, I posted June 4 ("Buds but no blooms") about how the plant was putting on bunches of buds but nothing was blooming. Now we know this to be true: this species can self-fertilize within permanently closed flowers, a process called cleistogamy.


No comments:

Post a Comment