Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Buttercups? Or not!

These beautiful yellow flowers that resemble pink evening primroses have been blooming profusely this past week. I've got my Wildflowers of Texas book and the Wildflower.org website up... I believe they're stemless evening primroses (Oenothera triloba), which are part of the evening-primrose family, Onagraceae.

So they're not buttercups!

P.S. James shot the photo...that's me and the bat house on the photo's right side.

UPDATE – MARCH 25, 2010 – I have an old copy of Roadside Flowers of Texas by Howard S. Irwin (1961), and this species once upon a time was/were called buttercups!

3 comments:

Caroline said...

They've been popping up all over North Austin, too. I prefer the pink variety, but these are lovely, too.

Morning Glories in Round Rock said...

I thought they were primrose, thanks for the informative post. I have been seeing them around town here in Round Rock.

Anonymous said...

When I was a little kid they were buttercups:) so they will remain that for me.

Post a Comment