Tuesday, February 1, 2011

House guest

"What's THAT!?" James exclaimed awhile ago. He was standing in our dining room, pointing at a corner on the floor. Hmm, had to be somebody with a lot of legs...

"Aww, isn't she pretty!" I gushed. Then I ran for my camera...

Our lovely house guest is a female crab spider. (Please ignore the dust and fuzz on our floor.)



  Because it's so cold and blustery, I couldn't very well let her go outside (though I'm sure she'd survive just fine). So I deposited her in a little plate of seeds that I keep on a sunny window sill in our dining room. As you can see, she blends in quite well!


When I went back to check on her, she'd already returned to her "attack" position. That's how crab spiders hunt. They wait for a victim to happen by, then they leap onto it and administer a venomous bite.


 Welcome, House Guest!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

You are certainly kinder than most! May your kindness be repaid many times over!

Sheryl Smith-Rodgers said...

I especially LOVE spiders and call myself a spider naturalist. Around town, I'm known as the Spider Lady.

Caroline said...

That is super cool! What a lucky spider.

Sheryl Smith-Rodgers said...

I just checked the plate, and she's gone. But she's still in the house somewhere!

Post a Comment