Thursday, February 17, 2011

Readin' up

I've been wanting to pull out reference books and information on native plants so we can better prepare for the new growing season. So this afternoon is The Day! I'm reading over plant lists and mulling over LOTS. 

For one thing, I KNOW I'm going to the Mostly Native Plant Sale, set for April 2 in Boerne. Hosts are members of the Boerne chapter of the Native Plant Society of Texas. And I've already queried David Winningham at Natives of Texas and asked if he might bring some spicebushes to sell. Yes, he responded. In the meantime, check out his website for information on which native plants like shade and/or sun. He's also got an online catalog of the natives he has in inventory. Can't wait for the Boerne sale! James and I visited Natives of Texas several years ago, but we weren't as up to speed on natives back then as we are now.


Back to the books!

5 comments:

Jonni said...

My sweetie brought me some Carolina snailseeds from his latest trip to the woods. Wildflower.org cautions that they are very pushy vines. Have you had any experience with them?
Jonni

Sheryl Smith-Rodgers said...

Hi Jonni! Yes, we have some (check out my post "Native vines" from last October). Not my favorite vine, but the berries are pretty, if you get the "right" sex.

Here's what Wildflower.org says about Cocculus carolinus:

"A scrambling or climbing vine, 3-15 ft. long, with twining stems and ovate to somewhat heart-shaped leaves. Foliage is medium- to yellow-green, downy beneath, tardily deciduous to semi-evergreen in the South. Flowers small, greenish, male and female on different plants, both in loose lateral and terminal clusters, the male branched, the female unbranched, appearing from June to August. Fruit fleshy, bright red, 1/4 inch or more in diameter from Sept. to Nov. in drooping, grape-like clusters. Seed coiled, suggesting a snail.

This vine is a strong grower and should be used where its vgorous spreading nature would be appreciated. It may not be wise to move it from its native range if spreading is a concern. Once root established, it can be difficult to remove, so plant wisely."

Greenbriar is AWFUL.

JonniAlmoney said...

Hey, Sheryl,I went back to your posts on vines and found one that I had been wondering about for years -- Cissus trifoliata. It surely is a stinky thing; do any caterpillars feed on it?

Sheryl Smith-Rodgers said...

I did a little research and discovered that YES this vine is a host plant for Wilson's wood-nymph (moth). Check out this link:
http://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/species/Xerociris-wilsonii

What I'm learning is that nearly everything native hosts SOMETHING. :-)

JonniAlmoney said...

Thanks, I added the link into my favorites. Yes, I think you are right -- every native plant is there for some reason. It makes me feel guilty when I start weeding.

Post a Comment