Sunday, February 20, 2011

Pollination underway


Dang, I'd never noticed this shrub thing blooming before, and I have no clue right now what it is. What I do know is what it's NOT: wax ligustrum and privet. But the bees and flies were all over it this afternoon. And it smelled good, too. Help, anyone?








UPDATE–I finally took the time to check on this new-to-me species, and reader Mkircus was right! Cool! This is a stretchberry–also called an elbow bush–Forestiera pubescens. I'd never noticed it before. Or maybe I had but didn't have the interest that I do now in natives. I'm going to tie a little ribbon around one of the branches so I can tell it apart from other shrubs going in the Sanctuary corner of our Wildscape. Neat-O!


2 comments:

Marilyn Kircus said...

Actually it is a privet (a good kind)- it's called elbow bush and is a wonderful plant. Here is the link to from the Wildflower Center. .
http://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=FOPU2

I started a lot of it from cuttings two summers ago. Deer ate the small plants until I put a fence around them.

Sheryl Smith-Rodgers said...

THANK YOU! Glad it's not the invasive kind!!!

Post a Comment