Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Never know what you'll find


Pruning? Be careful and keep an eye out. You never know what you'll find on the dead foliage. Five days ago, I was cutting back the globe mallow and spotted something intriguing on a short branch.

I pruned around the branch and took some photos later of what I'd found.
 

At my desk, I did a little snooping and posted my images to Bugguide.net. 

"Katydid eggs?" I proposed.  

"I'd say so," Kara T. responded.

Then my images were moved to the angle-wing katydid page (Microcentrum). Look at this cool photo of eggs like mine. Here's another photo

When foliage wasn't available, this katydid mama laid her eggs in a VERY unusual place! 

2 comments:

Rock rose said...

I remember finding those kind of eggs on a tomato plant. I never did get them identified. I am glad to know what they are for the future.

Sheryl Smith-Rodgers said...

I looked today and I don't think they've hatched out yet. Now THAT'D be cool to see!

Post a Comment