Thursday, May 26, 2016

Texas bush-clover

Meet Texas bush-clover (Lespedeza texana), a pretty little native species that gets next to no press. I dug up this one from our neighbor's side of the fence here at home (with her permission, of course) and have been so surprised at how beautiful it is. The bottom two photos were taken in October 2014, likely of the same plant before I moved it.
That's really become a big part of what I'm trying to accomplish through our Texas Wildscape: Bring local native species into our gardens so they'll be preserved and appreciated. 

On that note, I've transplanted a sensitive briar and a scarlet pea, both legumes. We'll see if they survive and take root. I hope so! I want visitors to see indigenous species and how truly beautiful they are. We MUST protect and honor what we have growing right in our own yards, city easements, public parks, and private lands. 

A few weeks ago, a friend shared that a new adjoining landowner (who moved to town from out of state) MOWED DOWN A FIELD OF GREENTHREADS! It literally broke her heart to see the golden flowers cut down. I, too, mourned at hearing the story. What's wrong with people? The Hill Country won't be the Hill Country too much longer at the rate that development's going. But in the meantime, James and I will do what we can here on Ninth Street to promote native species.



October 2014
October 2014

1 comment:

Shirley/Rock-Oak-Deer said...

It's so pretty in bloom. I have a similar plant growing near my fence. It's a habit for us to leave plants until they bloom so I can ID before pulling (or not). I hope it's Texas Bush Clover which would be so cool to find in my yard.

Post a Comment