Monday, May 1, 2017

New-to-me vine

Look what showed up on the fence near our compost pile! The pretty yellow flowers caught my eye or else I'd have assumed that it was just another grape vine and ignored it. On my own, I tried to figure out the species but couldn't. So I posted photos on iNaturalist to get help with an identification. Thanks, Blake! This is a snake apple vine (Ibervillea lindheimeri), also called globe berry and balsam gourd. I'm looking forward to seeing the red fruit.
Now here's the funny part. I had just bought and planted a balsam gourd! The vine was among my purchases at the Cibolo Nature Center's Mostly Native Plant Sale in April.


2 comments:

sl lawrence said...

Oh, how interesting! I've never seen this vine before. I love the name, snake apple vine! I hope you will let us see a photo of the fruit when it comes on. Thank you.

Sheryl Smith-Rodgers said...

I will!

Post a Comment