Friday, April 21, 2023

Cactus saga continues

I am remiss in updating my blog on a neighborhood cactus that I thought was gone for good. Back in March 2012, I shared a photo of the beautiful cactus that grew behind us on a neighbor's property. Our sweet neighbor, who's in heaven now, told us to dig it up and plant it on our land. But I wanted it to live in peace right where it was. Then in September 2019, I noticed that the cactus was dying so I rescued the remaining pieces and potted them up. Later they went to live at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center. 

Fast forward to October 2021. Imagine my surprise and joy when I found a cactus descendant in our yard! How in the world did it get THERE? When I showed it to our late neighbor's son, he chuckled. "Looks like a bird planted it," he said. DUH, Sheryl! Yes, a bird sat on the fence and did its business. VOILA! – our own Missouri foxtail cactus (Escobaria missouriensis)!

October 2021

October 2021
 
April 2023

April 2023

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's amazing. And the blossom brings a smile to your face immediately.

Post a Comment