Monday, July 21, 2008

Linda's night-blooming vines


Our neighbor down the street, Linda, called Saturday evening and asked if we'd be around.

"If you come over after dark, you can see some 'moon flowers' blooming," she offered.

Lindsey didn't get off work until after 10. When we picked her up, we told her that we were going on an "adventure" with our cameras. Despite being tired (so was James...we worked in the yard all evening), Lindsey was a good sport and agreed to join us. I had on my pajamas...who'd see me at that hour in the dark? Took a little time in the dark to find the flowers in Linda's yard (she's got a LOT growing everywhere!), but we did it. We found'em.

In honor of Linda and her beautiful "moon flowers," I thought I'd share some photos. The first one's mine; James shot the next three.

Saturday, July 26, 2008 – P.S. Gardener Pam Penick in Austin pointed out that these are likely a species of datura. She's right. Check out this link: Datura inoxia. (Caution: this plant is very toxic.)


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely--some of the best photos I've seen of white, night blooming flowers (so hard to shoot). But aren't these datura, rather than moonflower vine? Or does datura go by the name moonflower too?

Sheryl Smith-Rodgers said...

You're right! My neighbor told me moonflower, I think. I'm investigating the name datura....Thanks, Pam!

Post a Comment