Friday, October 24, 2008

Salvia updates

Generally speaking, I don't like to cut plants. Seems harsh and a bit painful if you're on the plant end. But I know many thrive and grow even more beautiful with thoughtful pruning. Like salvias. I've read and been told that it's best to trim salvias back a third after they've bloomed. The payoff: they'll supposedly bloom again.

A couple of weeks ago, I did just that. I took my little pink scissors outside and snipped snipped snipped. Then while I was gone last week, we got nearly 2 inches of rain. Halleluyah! Now look at the salvias! Just as promised, they've bloomed bloomed bloomed! 



On August 22, we planted three Salvia farinacea 'Indigo Spires' in our front yard. I really thought it was too late in the summer to plant anything. Check out my post for that day, "New additions," and look at the photo of one. In the beginning, they looked really scraggly. Now take a look at them......

Ever since we planted them, they haven't stopped growing and blooming. In our Wildscape, the Indigo spires are among my favorite plants. They also attract a lot of insects and spiders, which I photographed a few days ago. 


No comments:

Post a Comment