Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Texas rat snake


So we were touring around the Wildscape this evening, checking on plants, admiring James' weed-eating over on the lot. When all the sudden....guess what?!.....I spotted a LONG rat snake, draped over a rock, lying in one of our beds.

"Go get your camera!" James exclaimed. Off I ran while he kept an eye on the guy. It was about four-and-a-half feet long. By the time I got back, it was still lying still on the leaf litter. I started snapping away, creeping closer as I fired my camera.


Several times, I tried to get a photo of it flicking its tongue at me. A few frames caught a smidgen of its red forked tongue...


Finally, it had ENOUGH of us and started slithering away. James also tried to catch it with gloves. That didn't sit too well with the snake. So it let James go. Then it crawled into some limestone rocks that border another flower bed.

Poor thing. I kept taking pictures.

As you can see, it expressed very well what he thought of me!!

When we returned a few minutes later, the rat snake had already left. Most likely, the guy high-tailed it up a nearby live oak tree. Literally.

Rat snakes are very good at that.

2 comments:

Jennifer AKA keewee said...

We have those little green garter snakes in the garden I like them as they keep the insect population down.

Lorilee said...

Hi Sherryl,
I had a rat snake in my chicken coop last spring. It scared the daylights out of me. I haven't seen it since. I did find a large snake skin in my compost bin this spring. I am rather nervous each time I open it now! At least the head did not look like a pit viper. You did a great job capturing the snake in photos!
Blessings,
Lorilee

Post a Comment