Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Hummers still around, and a surprise as well


I tried to snag some shots awhile ago, but then everyone disappeared! This morning, I counted five females and three males. We were down to three feeders, but then I rehung one by my office window.

Plus, yesterday evening, we spotted a roadrunner in the lot behind us. "It's going to jump the fence and a drink of water," I predicted. Well, I was halfway right. The roadrunner jumped into our back yard, but it only surveyed the bird baths in passing. Then it made the coolest call....if you listen to the call here, the middle, almost metallic-like "clatter" is what we heard. I didn't run for my camera because I didn't want to startle it. First roadrunner in our Wildscape EVER!




James saw this little gal open her wings, lean her head over and open her mouth wide. I got one photo through the screen (and glass window) before she took off.

4 comments:

Steph@RamblingWren said...

Great hummingbird pics. I've seen a couple at my feeder, but not as many as you have.

dawn2454 said...

What a beautiful picture and such a blessing to see.

Lisa said...

Wow... A roadrunner. I've never seen one.

Unknown said...

Just think about how people used their left-over water from the old "Wringer-type Washing Machines" as they were designed with one single drain tube and you could put that water anywhere needed. I was concerned recently about all the Live Oak trees, some that are hundreds of years old and realized, "they have survived Many a drought" and keep on reaching toward the sky. Take a good Pat on the Back for being concerned enough during this drought to do your part. Bless both of you.

Post a Comment