Thursday, June 21, 2012

Mini cicada


I was outside yesterday afternoon, nipping off dead flowers, when I felt something land on my foot. I looked down and found this little cicada. I caught it in my hand, then walked into the house for my camera. Back outside, it posed patiently for numerous shots. Then it flew off.
Entomologist Mike Quinn says it's likely a grasslands cicada. Maybe Cicadetta texana? Bill Reynolds via Bugguide.net says it's a mesquite cicada (Pacarina puella). Either way, it was CUTE. I've never seen a cicada that tiny before.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been a Cicada fan since I was a child. I caught a coffee can full of them and they emerged in my grandma's house the next morning. I'm 59 and I saw my fist mini-Cicada today. Not sure what species this is. I have never seen a casing from which they emerge like the common green cicada's do. They are cute though being so small.

Sheryl Smith-Rodgers said...

It's a little mesquite cicada (Pacarina puella). And it's the only one I've ever found in our yard here. So far, I've documented five species, which includes this one–resh, scissor grinder, superb dog-day and Texas dog-day.

Post a Comment