Monday, August 15, 2016

Common house spider

This afternoon, I accidentally knocked this gal down from a dial where she'd been perching on our dryer in the garage. I was going to let her go, but then I decided to shoot some photos. I don't have too many cobweb spider images in my collection. So meet a common house spider (Parasteatoda tedariorum). Isn't she pretty? In the bottom photo, my flash lit up her itty bitty eyes. Though cobweb spiders have four pairs of eyes, they have terrible eyesight. That's because they rely on prey to bumble into and get tangled up in their messy webs. They don't stalk victims, like jumping spiders do. Therefore, jumping spiders have GREAT eyesight. 


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this post. I was able to identify a spider that's been hanging out inside my window screen. Although I am not a fan of spiders, and would never call one "pretty", I will let her be! She helps keep control the bothersome tiny fliers that are drawn to my spot in the woods. Have a great day! Lanita

Sheryl Smith-Rodgers said...

Oh, so glad you're letting her be! Thank you! :-)

Post a Comment