Thursday, June 7, 2018

Fluff everywhere!

We drove by the Meadow today, and I noted that the pods on our antelope horns milkweed (Asclepias asperula) have begun to bust open. So after supper, I went outside with a glass jar and collected as many seeds as I could.



Instead of standing in the hot sun, trying to separate the fluff from each seed, I sat down on a rock ledge under our big live oak in the front yard (James caught me on camera, above). Robins chortled in nearby trees, and chimney swifts twittered overhead as I let the breeze carry off the white fluff. I felt myself relax as I worked. If possible, I'll try and collect some more seeds as more pods open. Then later on, I'll spread the seeds in the Meadow in hopes of upping our antelope horn numbers.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

I've never had good luck germinating milkweed seeds. I hope you do. Love your meadow!

Sheryl Smith-Rodgers said...

I'm going to let Mother Nature do it! :-)

Post a Comment