Saturday, September 3, 2022

A second spring!

Lots of Edwards Plateau crestrib morning-glories seedlings

A while ago, James and I walked around the gardens. Oh. My. Goodness! The recent rains have made all the difference! What a blessing! However, now I am SO OUTNUMBERED! I have SO MUCH work to do! But what a welcome change. After watching and grieving as our plants suffered and died throughout the long, hot, dry summer, now we’re astounded to see how everyone has made such a miraculous comeback. But I guess we shouldn’t be THAT surprised. After all, we planted NATIVES. 
Salvias, trailing lantanas, pigeonberries. (Salvias and lantanas are especially recovering fast!)
I was delighted to see that our “dead” western ironweeds are coming back from the roots!
So are the perfumeballs, also known pincushion daisies and fragrant gaillardia.

Simpson’s rosinweeds are peeking up from the roots! 
Oops, a feline Prima flower along the Texas skeleton plants. 

Butterflyweed returning from its roots, too.
I’ve never seen the brownfoot grow straight up like this. 

Velvetleaf mallow, one of my favorites.

I thought we’d have to wait until spring to see what survived and what didn’t. Nope! We’re getting a real good idea right now! The takeaway: Folks, PLANT NATIVE PLANTS! (Pssst, anyone want some? I’ve got a lot of volunteers I need to re-home.)


 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Deer proof?

Anonymous said...

This is me, Sheryl. James added paneling to our chain link fence to make our back yard deer proof. https://sherylsmithrodgers.blogspot.com/2020/06/deer-be-gone.html?m=1

Post a Comment