Tuesday, September 26, 2023

Meet Senna

Sept. 8, 2023
This is little Senna. She is a Lindheimer's senna (Senna lindheimeriana). I germinated her from seed a couple of months ago. She was the only one to sprout from among three different species of legumes that I stuck in pots. She and I are very close. Whenever I go to my mother's house, Senna goes with me. In the car, I set her snugly between my legs. I watch over her very closely. Just ask James or my mother.

Sept. 26, 2023

Senna is descended from a Lindheimer's senna that grew on a ranch near the Devil's Backbone in Hays County. I also have another Lindheimer's senna that lives in a pot on our front porch. I gathered the senna seeds when my daughter was renting the upstairs apartment of a barndominium on the ranch back in 2018. 
 
For the last couple of years, my front-porch senna has been producing its own seed. And it will again this year. I hope to plant this older senna in our gardens next spring. But I'm a little hesitant because we bought and planted a Lindheimer's senna in April 2013, and it later died. I should feel more positive because a herd of deer live in our neighborhood, and they don't bother my senna. As you can see from the photos. Aren't the blooms just beautiful? And they smell good, too!
 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment