Wednesday, March 6, 2024

This is why I weed by hand

"Don't you want to use a rake?" James asks me quite often whenever I'm weeding by hand.

"Nope," I reply as I continue to pull henbit, chickweed and bedstraw. "I want to see what I'm pulling."

Yesterday, I was QUITE surprised when I pulled away dying henbit and chickweed and found THIS in a backyard bed. A bluebonnet! Wowzer! 

After supper, James ambled up while I was working. 

"So, what do you think THAT is?" I stood up and pointed to the plant I'd just found.

"Hmmm," he thought. Then he shrugged.

"A BLUEBONNET!" I exclaimed. "That's exactly why I don't want to use a rake!" 

Humbly, James smiled. "Well, that's pretty cool," he said.


UPDATE MARCH 18, 2024 Alas, the stem broke off at the ground soon after our bluebonnet bloomed. I put the flower in a little vase on our dining room table. I am sad.


No comments:

Post a Comment