Saturday, January 24, 2009

Winter dining on the feeder



Awhile ago, I had my binoculars focused on the feeder in our back yard (complete with a thistle sock), and–WOW!–three lesser goldfinches landed on the sock! Solid black and vivid yellow, they're stunning birds. I immediately ran for my camera and switched out the lens for a telephoto. By the time I ran back to the dining room, they were gone. Darn it. Oh well. I snapped a few photos of the other guys still eating. A house finch and an American goldfinch (top photo). The house finch took off and was replaced with a feisty chickadee (bottom photo).

I'd also been watching some pine siskins and chipping sparrows, hopping around on the ground, feeding, when the lesser goldfinches arrived. I'm going to keep checking. Maybe I'll get lucky, and they'll come back.

No comments:

Post a Comment