Thursday, June 24, 2010

Case closed...and soon to be cut down




So this afternoon, I'm researching goldenrod and, in the course of my work, I read about ragweed. One by one via www.Wildflower.org, I look at photos of different species of ragweed.

"OHHHHHHHH!" I exclaim after see photos of giant ragweed. "So THAT'S it!"

We'd been watching a huge plant in a front bed keep getting HUGER and taller taller taller. Yesterday, I had James stand by it so I could show some perspective on its height. I wanted to wait and see what the blooms look like so then I could identify the species.

Well, no need to wait! In fact, we'd better cut that thing down FAST. Because James has enough problems with allergies! I don't want to be responsible for more.

FYI: According to Wildflowers, Trees and Shrubs of Texas, this species can reach 16 or MORE feet high! "An infusion of the leaves is useful in treating poison ivy," authors Delena Tull and George Oxford Miller state.

Farewell, giant!


No comments:

Post a Comment