Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Don't mind me!


This afternoon, I was working on the laptop at the dining room table when I looked up and saw this butterfly, hanging out on the hummingbird feeder and trying to nectar. I watched it for a while. Then I couldn't stand it any longer. I fetched James' Kodak, stood at the window and shot a progression of photos. I'd never seen a butterfly at a hummingbird feeder before. Or one that stayed so long, no matter who else showed up....
 

While I stood there, shooting, a wasp arrived and got on board. The butterfly–a hairstreak species–stood its ground. Hummingbirds came and went. The butterfly stayed. It did, however, meander over and around the feeder. (On some of the images, you really have to search before you can spot it.) From about the ninth photo and beyond below, James photographed those. And he got some really great shots.....




















2 comments:

HolleyGarden said...

Love the pic of the hummer and butterfly together. Great shots!

Sheryl Smith-Rodgers said...

Thanks! It was really fun and interesting to watch. That was one tough butterfly!

Post a Comment