Friday, June 26, 2015

Mydas flies

The last couple of days, James and I have spotted a large black wasp hanging out in the back yard. I saw one again this afternoon. So later, I grabbed my camera and went back outside in hopes of snagging some pictures of one. Not more than two or three minutes later, I saw THREE tussle under a tomato plant. Then two coupled together flew off (above). I followed them and managed to get a few good shots. 

Then I went back and found the third under the tomato plant. Oh, he didn't look so good. In fact, I wondered if he'd been mortally wounded. Nope. A minute or two later, he started moving and flexing his wings. I left the drama so I could download my photos and identify them.

What I learned is that these large insects are not wasps but wasp-mimic FLIES. Cool! More specifically, these are mydas flies in the genus Mydas. I was relieved to find out that they're NOT saw flies (my mallows are safe from more hungry larvae). However, now I'm wondering what mydas fly larvae eat? Hopefully, not plants!

No comments:

Post a Comment