Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Cretanweed

Thank you, Jerry S., for the name of this plant. I was getting SO frustrated because I could NOT identify what I thought was a dandelion species. Nope. It's cretanweed (Hedypnois cretica), an introduced species from the Mediterranean. I'd noticed it last year in the neighborhood and had secretly hoped we'd get some in the Meadow. Well, we did. And now that I know what it is, I shouldn't have wished for it. But at least it's not listed on the Texas Invasives list. Still, I guess I'd better go pull it up.....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello, I found this Cretan Weed plant to be pretty invasive. I too thought it might be a good thing to leave alone because it seemed to be crowding out an invasive called Malta Star Thistle ( much worse) and now I'm sorry. My goal is to have natives. I pulled this spring and now I'm trying to pull up all the dried plants with their multiple seeds before they drop and continue their take over of my land. It is not labeled as an invasive yet but I think it should be. Readers, if you find this on your land, my advice is to pull it asap.

Anonymous said...

I agree with the comment above. I have had and am currently having the same experience with Cretan Weed. It should be labeled as an invasive! It is VERY invasive!! Pull it asap!

Anonymous said...

If you want natives to grow do not let Cretan Weed stay in your property it will take over every square inch. I too let it go because it was suppressing the Malta Star Thistle.. big mistake

Sheryl Smith-Rodgers said...

Oh, I pull it whenever I see it now!

Post a Comment