Friday, March 25, 2016

Milkweed rooting experiment UPDATED

Two days ago, I found one of the two new branches on my Texas milkweed (Asclepias texana) broken and lying on the ground. Oh, no! That was my first reaction. Then I looked closer. The damage appeared to be recent so I trimmed off the end and stuck it in a glass of water. As you see above, it perked up!

I just now dipped the stem in a root stimulator and potted it. Then I wrapped some plastic around it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed! I'd love to have another Texas milkweed, but I wouldn't have wanted to get one at the expense of a young one.

APRIL 4, 2016 UPDATE See photo below. The top growth appears to be somewhat hanging in there.

 APRIL 9, 2016 UPDATE–Top growth looking good! 
(Photo below)

APRIL16, 2016–I'm taking off the greenhouse effect and letting my Texas milkweed go on its own. BECAUSE IT'S TRYING TO PUT ON A BLOOM! (Photos below)


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hope it takes. They sure perk up fast.

Post a Comment