Friday, August 24, 2018

Buckeyes in our Wildscape

A few days ago, James noticed a seed pod on our Mexican buckeye (Ungnadia speciosa). It's our first one! Aren't the seeds just BEAUTIFUL? (Bad me, I was jealous–I wanted to be the one who found it. LOL!)
What's also interesting about this tree is how FAST it's grown. We purchased it as a wee child from a native plant sale at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center in October 2013. Check out the photos on my blog post, and you'll see how small it was. NOW look at it (below). I'm not good at estimating, but maybe 12 feet tall?

On the same October 2013 post, you'll also see our Texas buckeye (Aesculus glabra var. arguta) that was gifted around the same time to us by Ron and Linda. Back then, it was barely 6 inches tall. Fast forward nearly five years, and it really hasn't made much progress (photo below). But that's OK. Everyone's allowed to be who they are in our Texas Wildscape.

No comments:

Post a Comment