Thursday, February 25, 2021

Kill that thistle!

Musk thistle rosette

After our terrible winter storms last week, I stayed with my mother for four days to relieve pressure on our limited water supplies (our town was without water for seven days). While at Mother's, I continued my efforts to remove invasive, non-native musk thistles (Carduus nutans) from her property along her subdivision's main road. I'm hoping I didn't pull any Texas thistles (Cirsium texanum). I don't think I did. There's not many photos online that compare the two as seedlings and rosettes. But I did find this photo of a Texas thistle rosette. Here's another and another. One more.

If you're interested in learning more about thistles, check out these sources:

The Good, the Bad, the Ugly: A Guide to Distinguishing Texas Thistles

Thistle Identification

Same musk thistle...they can get huge!

Musk thistle seedling

No comments:

Post a Comment