Thursday, February 25, 2021

On the back side


It is Thursday afternoon, some six days after last week's devastating winter storms ended. I am so grateful. Our home and pipes escaped damage. As for our native gardens, only time will tell who survived and who didn't. Our live oaks didn't lose any branches or limbs. 

This morning, James drove out to see our rural land northwest of Blanco and returned home deeply saddened. Many oaks, junipers and other trees suffered broken limbs. Several were even uprooted from the ground. He said it will take him a year to make repairs.

Last week....I really don't want to relive those scary days. Rolling power outages. Snow, snow, snow. Freezing temps down to single digits and the teens. No water starting Tuesday, Feb. 16, when the city abruptly depleted its reserves. James shoveled snow, LOTS of snow, and dumped buckets of it into a bathtub to flush commodes and wash dishes. Thankfully, we had enough drinking water to get by. Dear neighbors across the street on Friday rented a hotel room in Johnson City and invited us up for showers. The hot water on our bodies felt HEAVENLY.

James sent me to my mother's on Saturday to relieve pressure on our limited water supplies. The water was restored Tuesday, February 23. I returned Wednesday afternoon to find our home cleaned up and back to "normal," all thanks to my precious husband James.

Oh, my gambusia? I was sad but not surprised when James texted me that they'd died, probably around two dozen (thank you, James, for scooping out their little bodies). The next day, though, he sent me video.....of two fish swimming in my stock tank pond! At least THREE survived! Hip hip hooray! A little happy ending for this post.

Leftover snow water

Prima Donna didn't care much for the weather either.

No comments:

Post a Comment