Saturday, August 21, 2021

Wolf on a lily

Now THIS was a very interesting sight to behold! Boy, was I surprised last night when I spotted a wolf spider hanging upside down on a rain lily in the Meadow. She's likely an undescribed species of Hogna, according to Eric N. on iNaturalist. Isn't she beautiful? Sadly, though, I suspect that a spider wasp bit and paralyzed my spider friend for her wasp children. I think that because the wolf spider was unresponsive and didn't move when I finally turned the lily around to get better angles for my photos. A bit later, she disappeared. That's nature!



 



2 comments:

Regina Levoy said...

As always, Sheryl, you have such interesting observations and gorgeous photos!

Sheryl Smith-Rodgers said...

Thank you, Regina. You know, this morning in church, I thought of that wolf lady, how beautiful and large she was. How she’d had mothers before her, been hatched by her mother and then survived as a spiderling to live her own life. Only to come to last night? To be paralyzed and eaten? That was her fate from the start? Not to give life to her own spiderlings? I felt such a deep sadness. Then I had to remind myself….that’s nature…..

Post a Comment